Know the Rules
Luther Cubs will:
- Come to school to learn, and allow others to learn
- Be on time, be prepared, and work to the best of our ability
- Be respectful, courteous, and helpful to others
- Resolve conflicts peacefully
- Be responsible for our own words and behavior
- Respect our school and its property
Appropriate School Dress:
- Does not create a disturbance;
- Does not contain inappropriate language of images;
- Does not have pictures that display alcohol, drugs, tobacco, or that can be construed as inappropriate, have racial/ethic slurs, or depict violence.
- No costumes and/or costume accessories (only permitted on designated school dress up days). Halloween costumes: Children may only wear “friendly” costumes (no masks, blood, clown costumes or weapons).
- No clothing shall be worn that may be considered as possibly dangerous or be used as a potential weapon (i.e. chains, spikes, spurs, etc.).
- Blankets are not to be worn at school (except for special class events).
Pants and Shorts:
- Pants must be worn at the waist and must remain at the waist. Undergarments must be covered at all times. Pants may not drag on the ground to the point that a student may trip on them.
- Pants, shorts, and skirts with holes and/or rips above the “fingertip” length when arms are fully extended are not permitted, unless a legging is worn beneath that does not expose skin (nylons or see through stockings don’t meet this requirement).
- Shorts, skirts, and dresses should be modest and cover all undergarments (they should provide sufficient modesty when the student bends over). We use the guide of “fingertip” length. Please consider PE activities when you dress in the morning.
- Pajama bottoms or “PJ’s” are not allowed at school (only permitted on designated school dress up days).
- All shirts or blouses must have two straps at least 1” in width and cover undergarments completely.
- See-through tops, tops which expose the midriff, are low cut, are backless, halter, or strapless are not permitted.
- No cut out shirts including muscle shirts.
- All undergarments must be covered.
- Footwear must be worn for health and safety reasons.
- Shoes MUST be held securely on the foot with a strap at the heel. Flip Flops, slides and/or slippers are not allowed at school in grades TK-8.
- Shoes with wheels are not permitted.
Belts and Buckles:
- Belts are not acceptable if they hang more than 3” from the appropriate belt loop and need to be tucked in the belt loop.
- Hats, caps, visors, and beanies may be work outside.
- Head coverings worn for religious or medical purposes may be work at all times.
- Bandanas are not to be worn.
- Purses are not allowed at school.
- Cell phones and other communication devices must be turned off in backpack.
School Arrival and Dismissal Expectations
- Observe all school rules to and from home and school.
- Students should arrive no earlier than 7:30 a.m.
- Students should wait quietly and in an orderly fashion outside the cafeteria for the breakfast line.
- Students should not be in hallways, bathrooms, etc. prior to 7:30 a.m. when there is no campus supervision.
- Walk all bikes and scooters until you reach Pennington Rd.
- In the back dismissal area, students should use the cul-de-sac gate only. Students should not be in the back staff parking area.
School Arrival and Dismissal Expectations cont’d
- Kindergarten students must be picked up at the school or the bus stop by an adult. Guardians picking kindergartners up at the bus stop must present the child’s photo ID card. Authorizations for older students to pick up kindergarten students must have prior approval from the Luther Office.
- Walk quietly to and from the cafeteria.
- Never flick or throw food.
- Please keep all food inside the cafeteria.
- No bottles or glass is allowed in the cafeteria.
- Sodas and caffeinated beverages are not allowed at school.
- Good behavior and respect for students, adults and property are expected at all times or students will be moved to an isolated table.
- Enter the classroom quietly and keep voices at an acceptable level.
- Listen carefully and follow directions.
- Be polite to all.
- Respect others and keep hands and feet to themselves.
- Raise your hand when you would like to speak and wait their turn.
- Only leave the classroom when permission has been given.
Homework bridges school and home. It is an important part of teaching students responsibility and accountability. To help students improve their study habits, consider these homework suggestions:
- Have a definite time and place for homework.
- Choose a place that is quiet and has good light.
- Gather materials needed for homework before beginning.
- Read directions carefully.
- Focus on quality work.
- Have parents or older siblings check work after it is completed.
- Check-in with your child periodically.
- We walk in the hallways.
- We play only on the playground areas, not in the hallways, bathrooms, or by classrooms.
- Bikes, Skateboards, scooters etc., are not to be ridden on school grounds.
- Frisbees, Bats, Balls, Marbles, Game Cards, and other Toys from home are not allowed at school or at recess unless they are brought in for “Show and Tell” or for some other approved purpose.
- We do not play any games which may become too rough such as wrestling, tackling, and tug-of-war.
- We do not do cartwheels, handstands, flips, or other gymnastics-type activities at school.
- We do not kick Red Balls or Basketballs. Yellow Balls, Footballs and Soccer Balls can be kicked on the grass but not on the blacktop.
- We do not climb or spin on corridor poles.
- We do not throw anything that might hurt another person.
- We do not stand upright on the top of any piece of equipment, and we never attempt to jump off.
- We never do dangerous tricks on the playground equipment.
- We do not play or gather in “Off Limit Areas” - between the classroom wings, in front of the school, etc. Playing and gathering is limited to the playground inside of the yellow lines.
- We stay on the playground area side of the yellow lines at recess and at lunch time.
- We stop playing immediately after the freeze bell rings.
- We do not bring I-Pods or electronic games including smart watches to school
- We use courteous and respectful language with others.
- We let other students play games currently in play.
- We never hit another person.
- We never wear hats in the classrooms, the office or the cafeteria.
- We always obey the rules and are respectful to the adult in charge.
- We never eat candy or chew gum at school.
- We follow the rules on all play structures. We do not run in the bark or throw bark.
- Tag games are played on the field only.
- We freeze after the freeze bell rings until the whistle is blown.
Students are to use the restrooms appropriately and leave immediately. Student should not wait for friends or use it as a play area. Expectations for restrooms are:
- Students use their assigned grade level restroom only at all times unless instructed differently by a staff member.
- Keep water in the sink and do not splash.
- Feet should stay on the floor and do not climb stalls, etc.
- Give students privacy.
- Use quiet voices.
- Wash hands and leave immediately when done.
- Report any misbehavior or issues to the adult on duty.
Transportation to and from school is provided to children as a service. Riding the bus is a privilege, not a right. Any student whose conduct on the bus is not acceptable may have the privilege of riding the bus revoked.
The bus driver needs to operate the bus as safely as possible. Students are to be quiet and orderly and are to cooperate with the bus driver and the bus duty aides. Please follow these rules when waiting for the bus:
- Students may play on the playground, following all rules, until their bus is called.
- Students will form an orderly line for their bus.
- Students will walk down the hall to the bus loading area quietly, as not to disturb after school classes or teachers.
- Follow all bus rules.
- Written permission from the parent/guardian is required for students to get off at a different stop, to ride a different route, or accompany a friend. The note must be approved by the Luther Office.
- We follow posted rules for games played.